What's Your Ayurvedic Body Type?
Ayurveda was derived from ancient Sanskrit texts and is the world’s oldest health system. It originated in ancient India over 5,000 years ago and is the sister science of yoga.
In Sanskit, “ayur” means life and “Veda” means knowledge, because one can only achieve true mental and physical health when one has complete knowledge of life.
The principle behind Ayurvedic medicine is the belief that health exists when there is a balance between the three fundamental bio-elements of doshas of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
- Vāta or Vata is characterized by the properties of dry, cold, light, minute, and movement. All movement in the body is due to properties of vata. Pain is the characteristic feature of deranged vata. Some of the diseases connected to unbalanced vata are flatulence, gout, rheumatism, etc.
- Pitta represents metabolism; It is characterized by heat, moistness, liquidity, and sharpness and sourness. Its chief quality is heat. It is the energy principle which uses bile to direct digestion and enhance metabolism. Unbalanced pitta is primarily characterized by body heat or a burning sensation and redness.
- Kapha is the watery element. It is a combination of earth and water. It is characterized by heaviness, coldness, tenderness, softness, slowness, lubrication, and the carrier of nutrients. It is the nourishing element of the body. All soft organs are made by Kapha and it plays an important role in the perception of taste together with nourishment and lubrication.
🤸🏻♀️ What's your body type?
Are you Vata 🌬️ Pitta 🔥 or Kapha 🌱?
Do you know that different ayurvedic body types (doshas) have different needs? Get to know your dosha and maximise nutrition from home 💪🏻❤️
Take the quiz here!
Famous Celebrities: Julia Roberts, Gwyneth Paltrow, Orlando Bloom, Jim Carrey
Famous Celebrities: Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise
Famous Celebrities: Beyonce, Oprah Winfrey, George Clooney, Tom Hanks
Makhana as a Tri-dosic ingredient
Water Lily Pops (or more commonly known as makhana) is a natural ayurvedic ingredient. It is tri-dosic, which means it balances all three doshas to uplift you to shine the way you were meant to be!
These seeds balances vata and pitta doshas as they increase moistness of tissues and has cold potency. Makhana is rich in calcium and is said to have calming properties to bring down restlessness and insomnia - both of which symptoms of excess Vata. Makhana is considered “Balya” which promotes strength and improves immunity. It is also “Grahi” which is absorbent and alleviates watery diarrhoea. Moreover, makhana is considered “Vrushya” as it improves vigour and also functions as a natural aphrodisiac.
How to consume Makhana
From ancient times in India to the modern day, makhana has been consumed as a staple in various forms. Discover the different ways of consuming makhana:
- As a substitute for cereal: Thinking of what to have for breakfast? Makhana makes a delicious breakfast cereal due to its puffed and airy nature, absorbing the warm milk and delivering a burst of energy with every bite.
- As a topping for rice and curries: Makhana offers an extra crunch and texture to fragrant curries, rice, and yogurt side dishes. Its excellent nutritional profile further enhances the goodness of your meals!
- Grinded into powder and used in puddings and Raita (yogurt): Makhana is neutral and light in taste yet is rich in texture, making it a perfect ingredient for healthy puddings and to thicken yogurt dips.
Makhana as a snack
These healthy snacks are naturally packed with plant-based protein, amino acids, and anti-oxidants and offer a healthier, gluten-free non-GMO alternative to on-the-go snacking.
Water Lily Pops have been consumed for over 2,000 years for its amazing taste and nutrition. Produced in the Himalayan foothills, an environment that is perfect for growing and harvesting water lily seeds in a sustainable, responsible way.
- 67% Less fat, 20% less calories than popcorn
- 100% Natural roasted plant seeds (never fried!)
- All Natural Flavouring
- No Artificial Ingredients
Light and crunchy, these pops are perfect for every occasion!
Bihar Unlocked: An interview with our co-founders
2,000 Year Tradition: The Cultural Context of Makhana
Bye Bye Popcorn, Hello Water Lily Pops!
Water Lily vs Lotus: Why the Difference is Important
Vata characteristics: slender with prominent features, moody, impulsive, enthusiastic. Enjoy creative endeavours, meeting new people, and exploring new places. Consume more carbohydrates, whole grains, lentils, tofu, beans, sweet or steamed fruits, milk butter, yogurt. Consume less raw foods, hard-to-digest foods, dry or cold foods.
Pitta characteristics: medium build, well-proportioned, stable weight. Strong, intense, and prone to irritability. Consume more carbohydrates, whole grains, lentils, chickpeas, soy, veggies, squash, peas, sweet and ripe fruit. Consume less sour fruits and drinks (coffee, alcohol, soda), hot spices and fried food, refined sugars.
Kapha characteristics: solid, heavy, strong, with a tendency to be overweight. Stable, compassionate, and loyal. Consume more vegetables (raw during summer, if not, cooked), all legumes, lentils, tofu, dried and astringent fruits, moderate carbs and grains. Consume less heavy oily and cold foods, sweet salt, sour foods, dairy products, sweet desserts.